Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A shameful admission.

As I sit before my computer screen, I am abashed to admit that there are myriad things that would be significantly more productive . . .

and yet, here I sit.

Firstly, I need to memorize and master Debussy's First Arabesque, which must be flawless by December. Auditions are important, but my master class with Yolanda Kondonassis mandates a performance that lacks no note, expression or gesture. (Yes, my dear, wonderful teacher has been good enough to reserve a time for me to study with one of the most admired harpists in the United States. I am inexpressibly grateful, but also very unprepared!) After dear Debussy, I still need to perfect Siciliana, and learn The Nutcracker Suite (cadenza), Gymnopedie No. 1, Chanson dans la Nuit, and at least a few others. Me? Nervous? Never.

Secondly, it would be to my great benefit to create a functional resume. I am extremely grateful to have my job, however I might desire to engage in some activity besides data entry, at some point. My brother consistently insists that I should seek a bank teller position, so I need to begin handing people resumes.

Thirdly, there is one reality of epic proportion that I must, at some point, begin to address:

College.

Since I submitted my application to Baylor, I have been less than compelled to finish my applications to other schools. Yes, my dream and goal is to attend Baylor beginning in the Fall 2009 semester; yet, my less idealistic self consistently reminds me that there is a possibility that I will fail to be accepted into the music program. Therefore, at some point, I must complete applications to at least SMU, UNT, U of H, and TCU. No, I have no desire to attend any school that is not Baylor. However, I suppose I must keep my options open.

. . . and still, here I sit, accomplishing none of these things.

No comments: