Sunday, September 28, 2008

Perspective.

As I sped down the highway this morning, almost in tears because of the thoughts racing through my mind and the frustration of my heart, I saw God.

Though I am unable to ignore the artistry displayed in a sunset, the chilling sensation of the wind and the miracle of spring's new life, I rarely am simply struck by an undeniable awe and genuine amazement by His creation. Yes, standing at the top of Pike's Peak or at the edge of the vast, peaceful, powerful ocean steals my breath; yet, rarely do I lay my eyes on the simple beauty of everyday miracles and immediately watch my train of conscious thought dissolve into pure marvel at God's faithfulness. As I drove down I35 this morning, though, looking casually across the vast stretch of nothingness that I tend to dread experiencing, every musing in my mind gave way to simple amazement. Across the fields and amid the trees lay a thick, beautiful fog that gave the impression of newly fallen snow. Green treetops peeked out over the white field, and the sky displayed rays of sunshine in front of a pale blue backdrop.

Thoughts of His pure blood covering my sin to make me white as snow flooded my mind, alongside musings of His faithfulness in causing the sun to rise every morning. This great God, Who paints the sky in crimson and orange and purple every morning and evening, to Whom the spheres sing and the trees bow, loves me. He loves me. He who is faithful to clothe the lilies of the field and provide sustenance for the birds of the air created me in His own image, that I might find satisfaction in bringing Him glory.

When I was little, I often wondered how a perfect God could be jealous. As I have grown in understanding of His greatness before my own worthlessness, He has graciously shown me that His jealousy is not bred by egotism or lack of glory, but is a reality that exists because of His sole importance and perfection. He is jealous because He has a divine right to receive every ounce of praise, honor and glory that I, as His humble servant, am capable of offering (by His grace alone), and infinitely more. His power, supremacy, and reign are infinite, and He is therefore worthy of all worship and admiration.

And this God has chosen me to spend eternity bowing at His feet.

I have often heard people ask, "what would you do if Jesus were in the room?" when debating matters of morality and character. What would I do if the Creator, Savior and Sustainer of the universe were standing before me? I would fall down on my face before Him, praising the Author of Life with songs and gifts. Why, then, do I pursue worthless, trivial things when He is present in the very air that He has blessed me to breathe? I am shocked by my apathy when I analyze the way in which I live my life, moment to moment, day to day, and year to year. His Word instructs me to pray without ceasing, yet I choose to spend my time and energy contemplating useless pursuits and desires. Why, Lord, do I constantly fail to comprehend Your sole ownership of every aspect of my being? You have given me this life not that I may be satisfied by meaningless pleasures, but that I might bask in the riches of Your grace and be filled with love for and passion for my Heavenly Father.

I am consistently perplexed by the reality that the situations that are seemingly the most straightforward can so quickly become the most complex. How is it that circumstances that I originally perceive to be good are almost inevitably the beginning of an inward struggle which consumes my mind for an indefinite period of time? The enemy's specialty is to claim things that God created for good and twist them into sin. This is very annoying to me. So often, he accomplishes this by causing me to take to extremes things that are meant to glorify God. For example, God commands His people to study His Living Word, and to pray constantly. Yet, if I lock myself in a solitary room and fail to cultivate relationships with other believers (and unbelievers), I am neglecting to obey His command to be involved in the Body of Christ, and to fulfill the Great Commission.

Lord, thank You for giving me the desire and grace to think again.

No comments: